Recently, Squaw Valley issued a public statement regarding a breach of their water system that allowed contaminated water to seep into their mountain water system. The contamination was from coliform bacteria and E. coli. The upper mountain of the ski resort was the only area that was affected. The initial report came in on November 8 and was reported by the ski resort themselves. They do regular testing on the water system to detect any contamination so that they can accurately inform everyone to prevent illness. As soon as they detected the contamination they alerted the Placer County Department of Health. All of the restaurants in the contaminated area were closed and guests were provided clean bottled drinking water until the issue can be resolved.
The rain overtook the water system allowing the bacteria to infiltrate the water system on the upper mountain. Although the water is not safe to drink, activities such as skiing are still allowed without restrictions. Recent tests did not detect coliform and there were minimal levels of E. coli, but they refuse to allow visitors and the restaurants to use the water from the water systems until they are completely clear of all contamination. Squaw Valley regrets any inconvenience that the unfortunate incident may have caused their guest, but they are working hard to eliminate the situation and return to normal operations.
Many people have been wondering about the status of the water in the Squaw Valley area. A large storm has affected the water supply in Squaw Valley and neighboring areas. Liesl Kenney, Public Relations Director for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, has issued a statement to clarify the matter and update guests about how things are going.
Liesl went over some of the root causes of the concerns over water purity. It began with summarizing information regarding a storm which had an impact on multiple water systems within Placer County. Thankfully, the Squaw Valley workers were quick to access the situation and act on their concerns. The first step was to contact the Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District. This ensured that everything would be properly conducted right from the start.
As it currently stands, the main issue has been identified as a newly installed water system which was inundated during the storm. While this is limited scope, it’s important to treat and verify the safety of all water within the region. So far, there is now no detectable E. coli within the water supply.
There’s no estimated time in which the process will be fully completed. The water supply won’t be open to the public again until it’s verified as being fully safe. Because of the high water demands required for cooking, the restaurants in Squaw Valley will remain closed until treatment is finished.
However, at the same time Kenney stressed that the resort is still open for business and that the comfort and safety of guests was paramount. Obviously water itself is necessary for both the enjoyment of the facilities and everyone’s general health. As such bottled water will be given out free of charge to guests until the water purification and testing is completed. Kenney also assured people that High Camp and Gold Coast won’t do so until health officials and other experts have had a chance to examine and verify the safety of the water. Kenney closed the statement by thanking Placer County and the Squaw Valley Public Service District for their assistance and cooperation during the process.